Apple Cinnamon Dough
Important Note: Adult supervision and participation is required for this activity.
- 1/2 cup cinnamon
- 1/2 cup store bought applesauce (homemade sauce will likely be too watery)
Or, any equal portions of both ingredients depending on the quantity you desire.
- Stir together cinnamon and applesauce with a spoon until the dough becomes stiff, then use your hands to create a ball of dough.
- Place the ball of dough on a sheet of waxed paper, flatten slightly with your fingers.
- Place a second sheet of waxed paper over the top of the dough and roll out dough to about 1/8 inch thick.
- Use cookie cutters or your own template shapes.
- Air dry creations on a waxed paper-covered cookie sheet or a cooling rack for at least 24 hours until they are completely hard.
- For extra "sparkle", mix in decorative glitter.
- Make your own shapes by trimming the dough with a table knife following around patterns you've cut from cereal box cardboard.
- After cutting out shapes, use a drinking straw to create holes for jewelry or ornaments.
- Use toothpicks to make smaller holes for threading. Leave in dough until dry and remove.
- For a wall hanging, thread a colored ribbon through the shape.
- For a brooch, decorate with fabric paint and glue a metal clasp pin to the back (available at craft stores).
- Decorate creations with acrylic paint or fabric.
- The creations can be used as decorations on a gift box or bag.
Visitors since July 4, 1998